Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Tuesday Tutorial: Watercolour Resist Background

WHO CAN RESIST GELATOS?
Hi there! Lizzy with you today to take you through a super easy technique I’ve been using lately with my Faber-Castell Gelatos.
For us Down Under, it’s the middle of summer & I’ve been scrapping some beach pics – this technique works really well for a sunny backdrop to my pic. For you guys NOT in summer, I hope it warms you up a little!
AC cardstock, Precision Marker & Thickers, Kaisercraft PP, A Piece of Cake Design Cherry Flair badges, The Trinket Track resin rounds, SODAlicious stars, Studiio calico stars, Staz On ink, Stampin’ Up stamp, Ranger Liquid Pearls, Faber-Castell Gelatos, Levathian wax crayon.
WATERCOLOUR/RESIST BACKGROUND TECHNIQUE
Step 1:
Using white/cream cardstock, completely cover with gesso. The cheap stuff is fine to use!
Allow to dry.

Step 2:
Using a CLEAR wax crayon and a mask, colour in some of the mask in the pattern you wish to create on your page. You can use a coloured crayon for a different effect. This is the RESIST part of the technique.


Step 3:
Choose 2-4 colours of Gelatos
Grab a separate sponge for each colour – [I’ve used pieces from an old foam mattress that I’ve cut up!]. Moisten the sponges with water.

Step 4:
Scribble your gelatos onto your page, then with the sponge, rub the colour in. Repeat until you get the design & colours you desire. This is the BACKGROUND part of the technique.



Step 5:
Once this has dried, with a piece of paper towel, or any soft cloth, rub over the wax marks to remove any paint & to make them ‘pop’ against the background.

That’s it!
Embellish your page to your heart’s content.




We would love to see your take on this idea. Upload your layouts to our Facebook page here!

Thanks for popping in today,

Lizzy x

Lizzy Hill lives in Australia, north of Sydney by the sea. Exercising isn’t her strong point – except when it comes to her fingers and scrapping! They get a MAJOR workout! And let’s not get started on her chocolate addiction. It’s DARK. And that’s a pun……oh, and hidden away beneath that scrappy surface somewhere still lurks a former English teacher…

To see more of Lizzy's work visit her blog HERE!


8 comments:

  1. wow Great effects ! thanks so much to share your tuto, sure I will give a try !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips Lizzy, this layout looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Lizzy you and your Gelatos...a perfect blend ;) Another gorgeous layout and what a treat to see how you create it. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous effects Lizzy - thanks for sharing your techniques :o) I don't have any Gelatos yet, but I do have a birthday coming up ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool - thanks for the how-to... though I've never met a clear wax crayon - time to go internet-hunting!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool! Thank you for tutorial, I'm going to try that as soon as got my first gelatos :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great technique... I have gelatos and I haven't used them yet :( I don't like the results I get... I wish I could be a little more forgiving of the imperfectness of my work... Great layout Lizzy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun technique! Have to try this sometime! Pinning it!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete